This time of year turns many a mind towards gardening. While we're outside digging in the gardens and enjoying the sight and scent of growing plants, dogs and cats are also exploring outside. This can lead to curious pets getting into things that they really shouldn't. Many gardens inadvertantly contain plants that are toxic to pets.
Some things commonly found in the garden that are toxic to pets include:
Some plants are completely poisonous to pets, no matter what part of the plant they consume. Other plants might have only certain parts, such as the bulb, that is poisonous. If you catch your pet in the act of eating a plant, stop him immediately and take note of the plant and what type it is. Should he show signs of poisoning, bring a sample of the plant with you. It is very hard to figure out the cause of poisoning unless you catch your pet in the act and can keep a sample.
Symptoms that your pet may have ingested something poisonous include:
Call your veterinarian immediately if you suspect poisoning, or bring your pet to the clinic. Do not wait and hope that the condition will resolve on its own. You can also call the 24/7 Pet Poison Helpline at 1-800-213-6680.
Also check out this huge list of both toxic and non-toxic plants compiled by the ASPCA.
"A house is not a home without a pet." (Unknown Source)