» Pet Care Tips
» Day-to-Day Pet Care
» Recipe: Pumpkin Dog Cookies
Homemade Pumpkin Dog Biscuits
With Hallowe'en on its way, pumpkin is plentiful - and since most
dogs love the taste, we figured that this is a great time to share a
recipe for homemade pumpkin dog cookies.
These treats are a favorite and they're easy and very forgiving, too (just in case
you want to play with the ingredients a little bit).
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup of quick rolled oats
- 1 cup of canned/pureed pumpkin (NOT pumpkin-pie filling - just plain pumpkin)
- 1/4 cup of peanut butter
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine all the ingredients until well blended.
- Pat or roll out the dough into a 1/2" thickness. Cut into shapes
or pieces or use a fun, dog-shaped cookie cutter.
- Bake until hard (note that biscuits will continue to harden slightly
after being taken out of the oven). If you are making small treats, baking
time may be as little as 15 to 20 minutes. Larger treats may take closer
to 35 to 45 minutes. Watch them carefully so that they don't burn.
That's all there is to it! You can cut them into any shapes you want
- we pat out the dough and cut into thin "fingers", since it makes
it easy to break into pieces for feeding. Remember to incorporate the
amount of treats you feed into your dog's total intake for the day ...
and give lots of regular exercise to keep them fit and healthy!
"A man's soul can be judged by the way he treats his dog." (Charles Doran)